Sunday 15 November 2015

NEW YORK, NEW YORK....

Brisbane, 17.11.2015

Memories of New York. I was born during WW 2 in Berlin and barely survived the bombing.
Later on I grew up during the Cold War in West Berlin and as a highlight of my life experienced the peaceful reunification of Germany. By then I had travelled the World and settled in Australia.

In 1996 I passed through New York on a trip around the World. After my life in Berlin it was an absolute and symbolic must to climb the Liberty Statue. I did so on 20.11.1996. Afterwards I took a lift to the top of the World Trade Centre and recorded the sunset over the Liberty Statue. On 9.11.2001 the Trade Centre was destroyed. I am glad I was there earlier.


For the record: The Liberty Statue was built by Gustave Eiffel and gifted by the people of France to the United States, dedicated on 28.10.1886.


The photo of me was taken on 20.11.1996. The symbolism of the French Revolution and its slogan of "Liberte, Fraternite, Egalite" is more important than ever, especially after the massacres in Paris on Friday, 13.11.2015. For that reason I have added the French Flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment